Ski & Snowboard Club Vail (SSCV) hopes to spark a dream in young snowsports athletes which will provide them with a focus and teach them life lessons throughout their childhood, inspiring character growth and excellence at every turn. When this spark ignites, there is a need to provide youngsters with more time on snow along with more time developing the physical and mental attributes needed to achieve their dreams. This is where SSCV’s full-time programs along with its three academic partners, Vail Ski & Snowboard Academy (VSSA), Winter Tutorial and Vail Mountain School, come in to support your child in an elite snowsports program, both on snow and off, alongside a rigorous academic curriculum. Click here to view the SSCV full-time athlete brochure.
Admission as a Ski & Snowboard Club Vail Full-Time Athlete - This is a pre-requisite to attending Vail Ski & Snowboard Academy and Winter Tutorial
All prospective SSCV full-time athletes, including those who have graduated from high school and wish to become an SSCV PG athlete, must apply for admission as a full-time athlete to SSCV regardless of where they attend school.
Admission as a full-time athlete to SSCV is a pre-requisite to attending the following SSCV academic partners:
- (i) Vail Ski & Snowboard Academy
- (ii) SSCV Winter Tutorial
If an athlete is accepted as a full-time athlete at SSCV and has completed the additional admission requirements for attending VSSA or Winter Tutorial, they may be eligible to attend VSSA or Winter Tutorial. For those prospective full-time athletes who are not already enrolled in Vail Mountain School, they must go through the SSCV full-time athlete admissions process as well as the Vail Mountain School admissions process.
For more details on the SSCV admissions process please click here.
Admission as a full-time athlete to Ski & Snowboard Club Vail (SSCV) is a prerequisite to attending Vail Ski & Snowboard Academy, an Eagle County School (ECS) and the first public ski & snowboard academy in the country. As a college preparatory school, the goal of VSSA is to challenge its student athletes with a rigorous academic curriculum while supporting a world-class training and competition schedule. Since every VSSA student is a full-time SSCV athlete, every aspect of the school, including academics, scheduling and academic support infrastructure, is structured to accommodate the needs of the full-time student athlete.
A great number of VSSA student athletes compete on a national and international level, which entails extensive travel during the school year. VSSA is specifically tailored to provide for the education of its oftentimes widely geographically spread student body. Every high school student travels with a laptop computer for easy access to schoolwork at all times. The use of innovative internet technologies allows teachers and students to remain in close communication.
Flexibility is key in the VSSA environment as is individualized planning and monitoring of each student’s course work and progress. VSSA offers a wealth of resources in support of the needs of its full-time student athletes, including the following:
1. Schoology, a web-based learning management system, which includes assignments which VSSA teachers are required to post two weeks in advance to support traveling athletes and other academic resources, all accessible by teachers, students and parents;
2. Naviance, a comprehensive web-based college and career readiness platform for middle school and high school students that helps connect academic achievement to post-secondary goals, accessible by the college counselor, students and parents;
3 . Power School, a web-based, real-time grading platform accessible by teachers, students and parents;
4. Special education services for those students who qualify under ECS guidelines;
5. A full-time counselor providing college counseling and support services, along with age appropriate cross-age and team building activities and a variety of enrichment opportunities, including community service and internships;
6. A team of 4 academic coaches hired by SSCV who support 5th and 6th grade foreign language as well as supplement the VSSA classroom teachers, in particular for athletes with extensive travel and competition schedules;
7. A trimester oriented bell schedule built around supporting the unique needs of full-time snowsports athletes throughout the school year, including built in times for advisory which is a 0.5 credit life skills course that focuses on character and leadership development, after school strength training and conditioning sessions, training in the acrobatics room for freestyle, freeski and snowboard athletes and on-snow training sessions during the winter term, none of which conflict with class-time.
VSSA’s student to staff ratio of 10:1 allows for individualized attention. VSSA’s students develop a level of independent learning and life skills that are unusual among 5th through 12th grade students. The college acceptance record of VSSA graduates includes many of the top colleges and universities in the country.
Click here to view the Vail Ski & Snowboard Academy brochure.
Admission as a full-time athlete to SSCV l is a prerequisite to attending SSCV-WT. SSCV-WT is a flexible academic offering provided by SSCV which is utilized by full-time athletes who are unable to live in the Vail valley on a full-time, year-round basis. SSCV-WT tutors provide one on one tutoring to student athletes utilizing the curriculum provided by the student-athlete’s School of Origin (SOO).
Although SSCV-WT is targeted toward supporting student athletes in fifth through eighth grades, SSCV will consider high school students on a case-by-case basis. SSCV-WT is dedicated to helping each student achieve his/her academic potential and goals while improving time-management and organizational skills. It welcomes students from around the country and fosters a rigorous academic environment.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for 2017-2018 SSCV-WT start and end dates and the academic calendar.
Click here to view the SSCV Winter Tutorial brochure.
Vail Mountain School (VMS)
The mission of Vail Mountain School is to Develop Character; Seek Knowledge; Build Community.
Accredited by the Association of Colorado Independent Schools and a member of the National Association of Independent Schools, Vail Mountain School is the only independent kindergarten through twelfth grade school in Eagle and Summit counties. The school is proud of its continued reputation for excellence in education and placing its graduates in colleges and universities ranked among the top in the country. At each grade level, teachers are acutely aware of the developmental stages and needs of students. Age-appropriate curriculum is designed for each level while maintaining a focus on elements of both academia and character enhancement. Students are encouraged to be independent in their contribution to the well being of their school, their classmates and the community. VMS strongly believes that its graduates are prepared to contribute and succeed in an increasingly complex and demanding world.